Khamaryn khiid

Read in Mongolian

Name(s) of Temple :
Khamaryn khiid,

Rinchen Number :
678

Rinchen Name :
Khamaryn khiid /Khamaryn khural/

Type of Temple :
Monastry

Aimag Temple located in :
Dornogovi

Sum Temple located in :
Sainshand khot

Old Aimag Name :
Tusheet Khan

Description of location :
The site is located in 38km to the south of the sum centre. The area is called Uvur Bayasgalant. Bulgiin ovoo and Khutagtyn rashaan are on the west side and the Shambala site is 2-3Km to the north-east side. Bayasgalangiin caves are about hundred kilometers, Tontoon ovoo ie. “Breast” ovoo is on the north side of the site. Khan Bayanzurkh mountain is in 26km to the north-west. So the site is surrounded by sacred sites.

GPS readings :
North 44° 17’  East 110°  41’

Estimated site dimensions (metres) :
Side1: 3500 Side2: 3500 Side3: 3500 Side4: 3500 Side5: Side6:

Revived temple on site :
Yes

Status of site at time of survey :
All the outlines of the monastery temples remain at the site. So outlines of winter and summer temples and outlines of Saran KHukhuu theatre. Some ruins were maintained and some are fading.

Date of founding the monastery/temple :
1821

Date of closing and destroying the monastery :
Огноо хаагдсан: 1932-1933 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001
Огноо нураагдсан:: 1937-1953 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:001

Old monastery/temple revived:
Yes

Revived temple register number:
ДГСХ 112

Үүсгэн байгуулагч хүний нэр болон цол хэргэм (мэдэгдэж байвал):
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Altangerel /Ravjaa muzein zakhiral/ - Ярилцлагын дугаар: 001
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Zorigtbaatar /Monk, Zuunbayan bag/ - Ярилцлагын дугаар: 001
Нэр, цол хэргэм : Dush /Khamariin khiidiin khamba Lama, terguun Lama/ - Ярилцлагын дугаар: 001

Date of Reviving:
Year : 1990 - Ярилцлагын дугаар: 001
Year : 1992 - Ярилцлагын дугаар:

Monks in Old Temple :
about 500 monks

Notes :
Khamryn khiid is 38km south of the provincial centre, Sainshand. Uvur bayasgalant khamar was established in 1821. His holiness Danzanravjaa established it when he was 19 years old. The monastery had over 500 monks and about 80 temples. Currently there are many outlines. Venerable monk had summer and winter temples, so outlines of those and of Blue Labiran and Red Labiran are at the site. So both schools of Red and Yellow Hats existed here. The monastery had 4 great masters: 1.Ven. Danzan 2. Ven. Tsokhon’s monk 3. Ven. Balgan 4. Ven.Bor They all were persecuted between the 1930 – 1937. 5th reincarnation established it and he passed away when he was 50 years old. 6th and the 7th reincarnations were also here. The 7th one passed away when he was 57 years old. From the 1932-1933 the monks were taxed. Those who were not able to pay the taxes had to return to lay life. The temples were destroyed and some monks were executed.

Form Number :
ДГСХ 087

Survey Team :
Team E

Газрын зураг / Map

Site Plan

Site plan drawn by surveyors